Download the Chilkat ActiveX
All of the Chilkat ActiveX objects are contained within a single DLL.
* Classic ASP and SQL Server users should use the .msi installs.
Using the ActiveX in VB6
Visit these pages for help on using the Chilkat ActiveX in Visual Basic 6.0
Using the ActiveX in Classic ASP or SQL Server
The easiest way to install for use in Classic ASP or SQL Server is with the MSI Installer. For classic ASP, install on the web server. For use in SQL Server stored procedures, install on the server that runs SQL Server. If you don't know whether your ASP code or SQL Server runs as 32-bit or 64-bit, then install both 32-bit and 64-bit to cover both possibilities.
Manual Zip Install Instructions
Download and unzip to any directory on the local hard drive. The ActiveX DLL should NOT be located on a non-local filesystem. The unzipped directory structure is shown below.
32-bit ActiveX Unzipped Files 64-bit ActiveX Unzipped Files
- Question: Do I need the 32-bit ActiveX or the 64-bit?
Answer: The choice does not necessarily depend on whether the Windows system is 64-bit. The choice depends on whether the program using the ActiveX is a 32-bit program or a 64-bit program. For example, all VB6 and Visual FoxPro applications will use the 32-bit ActiveX's, even on 64-bit Windows.
- Register the ActiveX DLL using the .bat script provided in the download. The script uses regsvr32 to register the ActiveX.
Manual ActiveX DLL Registration
ActiveX DLLs need to be registered on any computer where they are used. When distributing your application with an ActiveX DLL, your installer will need to register the ActiveX DLL. Most installer packages provide features for automating ActiveX DLL registration.
- Important: The ActiveX registration script must be run with administrative privileges. On Windows 8, you may right-click on the .bat file and select "Run as Administrator".
- To register the 64-bit DLL, run the register.bat script with administrative privileges.
- To register the 32-bit DLL on a 32-bit Windows system, run the register_win32.bat script with administrative privileges.
- To register the 32-bit DLL on a 64-bit Windows system, run the register_x64.bat script with administrative privileges.
- See Also: ActiveX DLL Registration Tutorial
MSVC++ 9.0 Runtime Libs
The MSVC++ 9.0 runtime is automatically installed by the .msi if required. If manually installing from the .zip, then the VC++ 9.0 runtime would need to be installed from microsoft.com if needed.
The Chilkat ActiveX DLLs are implemented in C++ and are built using Visual Studio 2008 (VC++ 9.0). This means the VC++ 9.0 runtime libs must be present on the computer where your app runs. The VC++ 9.0 runtime is typically already pre-installed on Windows computers, but for older computers it may not exist. If not, then you'll receive an "application configuration is incorrect" error. To fix, download and install the VC9 redist from here:
(Chilkat builds using Visual Studio 2008 because it is the oldest possible Visual Studio that satisfies certain Windows security/compliance type certifications. The older the VC++ runtime, the less likely you'll find a computer that doesn't already have it pre-installed. For example, if Chilkat built with VS2013, then many more computers would not already have the runtime already present.)
The downloads on this page are the full-version Chilkat product downloads.
Chilkat components are fully functional for 30-day evaluations.
The release notes may be found here on the Chilkat blog.