Chilkat for .NET Framework Downloads
The downloads on this page are the full-versions.
Chilkat components are fully functional for 30-day evaluations.
| Chilkat .NET Packages are also available via NuGet.
Using Chilkat in ASP.NET on Shared Hosting
The Chilkat .NET assembly requires full trust. Add the following to your web.config:
<system.web> ... <trust level="Full" /> ... </system.web>
Chilkat .NET Framework Downloads
All Chilkat .NET classes are contained in a single assembly (DLL)
Important: Read about the Common Errors before downloading and testing for the 1st time.
Download and unzip to any directory. There is no "install". To use the Chilkat .NET assembly in a Visual Studio project, add a reference to the Chilkat DLL (such as ChilkatDotNet48.dll). (When adding the reference, Browse to the location of the Chilkat DLL and select it.)
Common Error #1: Incorrect Format
An application running in a 32-bit process must load the 32-bit Chilkat DLL, and an application running in a 64-bit process must load the 64-bit DLL. If a 32-bit process tries to load a 64-bit DLL, or the reverse, then an "Incorrect Format" error occurs:
Could not load file or assembly 'ChilkatDotNet**' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format.
- Target your app for x86 instead of "Any CPU". Your application will run as a 32-bit process regardless of the machine architecture and you can always use the 32-bit Chilkat assembly.
- In your Project Properties (for Visual Studio 2011 or later), in the Build tab, look for the "Prefer 32-bit" checkbox. If it is checked, then your application will always run as 32-bit, even if "Any CPU" is targeted. Thus you will always need to reference the 32-bit assembly.
- If your app targets "Any CPU", then it will run as a 32-bit process on a 32-bit computer, or a 64-bit process on a 64-bit computer (assuming "Prefer 32-bit") is unchecked. In this case, make sure to deploy the 32-bit Chilkat assembly w/ your app on 32-bit systems, and deploy the 64-bit Chilkat assembly to 64-bit systems. Nowadays, 32-bit Windows computers are very old and unlikely to be encountered. For in-house applications where you know all computers are 64-bit (i.e. not extremely old), then it is sufficient to assume 64-bit, Any CPU, and "Prefer 32-bit" unchecked.
- If your app is running within ASP.NET or a Windows Service and you're not quite sure whether it's 32-bit or 64-bit, then install the 32-bit Chilkat assembly in the 32-bit GAC (Global Assembly Cache), and also install the 64-bit Chilkat assembly into the 64-bit GAC. The .NET runtime will automatically look in the correct GAC and will find the correct assembly.
Common Error #2: The specified module could not be found.
Could not load file or assembly 'ChilkatDotNet**.dll' or one of its dependencies. The specified module could not be found.
This error occurs if the needed VC++ runtime redist is not already installed on the system.
The solution is to download and install the needed runtime redist from Microsoft VC++ Runtime Redist Downloads.
- If using the .NET 4.6, 4.7, or 4.8 Frameworks, choose the Microsoft VC++ runtime redist download for Visual Studio 2015, 2017 and 2019 (there is a single download for all three).
- If using .NET 4.5 with VS2013, choose the "Visual Studio 2013 (VC++ 12.0)" runtime redist.
- If using .NET 4.5 with VS2012, choose the "Visual Studio 2012 (VC++ 11.0)" runtime redist.
- If using .NET 4.0, choose the "Visual Studio 2010 (VC++ 10.0) SP1" runtime redist.
- If using .NET 2.0, download the VC++ 2005 runtime redist from VC++ 2005 Runtime Redist
Online Reference Documentation is located at Chilkat Documentation.
Online examples are located at Chilkat Example Code